May 27, 2009

Old Jerusalem

(This is second part of my mother's trip to Isreal after Egypt in Feb 27, 1997)
Day 1
Tony (friend I met on the Egypt part of my vacation) and I got picked up at the Salmo motel at 4 AM by a large public bus. Everything was great for an hour until the bus broke down. Waited a couple of hours until two small buses arrived and we all squished in with our luggage. It took about eight hours to drive to the Egyptian border. which we crossed without too much trouble. Had to leave the bus and walk with our luggage to the Israel border. Soldiers and customs officers both checked our papers and luggage. We wouldn’t let them stamp our passports with an Israel stamp, as the Arabian counties don’t like to acknowledge Israel exists. Another hour and we finally made our first coffee stop at a kibbutz. We then went on the Tel Aviv (away out of our way) and then to Jerusalem. We arrived there at 9 PM tired and hungry. Said goodbye to Tony as he was carrying on around the world on his own and had only come to Jerusalem with me so I would not have to take the bus by myself.
Had some soup and got our rooms assigned. Was told to knock on the door as my new roommate was already there. The door opened and I couldn’t see anyone until I looked down and saw a dwarf. We shared a room for the rest of the trip and really enjoyed her company. She’s a 26-year-old New Zealand girl who has been widowed for a year. Her husband died from taking pills to try and increase his size. These pills are experimental and have also caused the death of some small children so they are trying to get a class action suit going against the drug companies. It was incredible walking with Karen as everyone would flip out, especially the Arabs. Some of the children and parents were mean to her but she was a great sport about it all. She seemed to be fairly well off as she had beautiful tailor made clothes and said she had her house and car custom built for her.

No comments: