March 9, 2013

York-Castle Museum

I called about my luggage and still not been found. It was warm and sunny and we went to the train station and got reservations for the rest of our trip (no charge for making reservations in United Kingdom).


York Castle Museum
This is a wonderful, unique museum, which takes you back through history with streets and rooms set up as they were from Victorian to 1980’s. There are rooms are set up authentically for the time and the streets are so real that they even have thunder and change to night. There are rooms with WW I and WW II memorabilia and information, and a prison cell. There was a display of stoves going over hundreds of years starting with an open fireplace and up to a modern stove.



There were couple of elaborate toys where you put in 50 pence and toy firemen put out a fire and carry someone out the building.





There were lots of all different types of beautiful clocks











There were some dollhouses, which I enjoyed (I have one at home)


a gypsy wagon





Hearse



























We went to a department store where the locals eat and had a nice lunch. We went back to the room and my friend from Vernon-Shirley came to visit (she was in England visiting relatives). It was so great to see Shirley and we went to Marks & Spencer’s for tea and I had a delicious hot chocolate, which had the design of a tree, done in chocolate. We went to shopping and Shirley helped me pick out some replacement clothes from my lost luggage, underwear, pyjamas, T-shirts, and bra. We had a nice visit and I was sad when it was time for her to leave, especially since by the time she came home we would already be gone so would not see her again until the following spring.

friend Shirley in front of our B & B

No comments: